As part of the refurbishment and extension of an Edwardian house near Oxford, WG Carter undertook the conversion of an existing brick-built garage into a useful entertainment and recreation space. Dormer windows were installed into the slate roof to bring in more light and for views and the original large garage doors were replaced with new sliding folding doors.
The existing garage, which could house up to 6 cars, was converted into a large open plan family entertainment room suitable for games and recreation. This area has its own fully equipped kitchen and cloakroom.
The first floor was converted from an empty space to a playroom and a large state of the art office, complete with a large screen for video conferencing. The office included completely new services to cope with the alterations and extensions from mechanical and electrical, water, electricity and gas as well as Wi-Fi and the installation of a Sonos sound systems.
Outside, a full LTA sized ‘Tiger Turf’ tennis court was installed on the site of the former 1920’s grass court. Using the soil from the tennis court site, raised terracing was created to form a viewing grandstand.
Cut into a grass bank, a new pool building was constructed to house a swimming pool. In order for it to be used all year round, a ‘Certikin’ retractable roof was imported from Italy and a heating and cooling system for the air temperature was installed for winter and summer use. The pool room also houses a gym with his and hers changing rooms and showers, as well as a kitchen and relaxing seating area.
The outdoor landscaping around the perimeter of the pool was replaced with limestone paving slabs.